Fish diversity of Indian Sundarban and its resource and research prospects: Fishes Checklist

Latest version published by OBIS Secretariat on 13 September 2023 OBIS Secretariat
Publication date:
13 September 2023
Published by:
OBIS Secretariat
CC0 1.0

Download the latest version of this resource data as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A) or the resource metadata as EML or RTF:

Data as a DwC-A file download 350 records in English (29 KB) - Update frequency: not planned
Metadata as an EML file download in English (8 KB)
Metadata as an RTF file download in English (8 KB)


The updated list of fishes of Sundarban gives information of about 350 species belonging to 225 genera, 86 families distributed in 25 orders occurring in this region. Cartilaginous fishes or Elasmobranchs comprise only 10.3% of fishes known, i.e., 36 species belonging to 21 genera, 10 families and 6 orders.The rest, 314 species (89.7%) in 204 genera, 76 families and 19 orders are bony fishes. Among the fishes occurring in Indian Sundarban, the family Gobiidae is the most diverse group with 40 species, followed by Sciaenidae (18 spp.) and Engraulidae (17 spp.).The highest representation of elasmobranchs is by the gray sharks (Carcharhinidae, 10 spp.), followed by stingrays (Dasyatidae, 9 spp.).

Data Records

The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 350 records.

This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.


The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.

How to cite

Researchers should cite this work as follows:

Mishra S S, Gopi K C, Earl C (2023). Fish diversity of Indian Sundarban and its resource and research prospects: Fishes Checklist. Version 2.0. OBIS Secretariat. Occurrence dataset. https://doi.org/10.25607/ufguzy


Researchers should respect the following rights statement:

The publisher and rights holder of this work is OBIS Secretariat. To the extent possible under law, the publisher has waived all rights to these data and has dedicated them to the Public Domain (CC0 1.0). Users may copy, modify, distribute and use the work, including for commercial purposes, without restriction.

GBIF Registration

This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: a4202e55-050a-46a2-9c56-8b8507015ce7.  OBIS Secretariat publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Ocean Biodiversity Information System.




Subhrendu S Mishra
  • Originator
Zoological Survey of India
K C Gopi
  • Originator
Zoological Survey of India
Chandra Earl
  • Metadata Provider
  • Processor
eDNA Scientific Officer
OBIS Secretariat
  • Point Of Contact

Geographic Coverage

Indian Sundarbans

Bounding Coordinates South West [21.716, 88.716], North East [22.194, 89.06]

Taxonomic Coverage


Superclass Agnatha
Unranked Chondrichthyes, Osteichthyes

Sampling Methods

No Description available

Method step description:

  1. See Github Project and R Notebook for dataset construction methods

Bibliographic Citations

  1. Mishra S & Gopi, KC. (2017). Fish diversity of Indian Sundarban and its resource and research prospects.

Additional Metadata

marine, harvested by iOBIS

Purpose These data were made accessible through UNESCO's eDNA Expeditions project to mobilize available marine species and occurrence datasets from World Heritage Sites.
Alternative Identifiers 10.25607/ufguzy